Watch your Posture!
As technologies have advanced, so has our ways of doing work, communicating with others, our habits and past times. However, our handheld devices can cause injury to our spines if not used with care.
Did you know that bending your head to look at your phone can put up to 60 pounds of pressure on your spine! A 2014 study in Surgical Technology International showed that even a 15-degree head tilt adds 27 pounds of pressure….And as we use our devices more and more these days, that stress adds up.
Here are some ways that you can prevent injury and stay pain-free!
Take a Break!
- Holding your phone for too long can strain the muscles in your shoulders, arms and fingers. Let your arms rest at your sides
- Remember to give your eyes a break too! Every 20 minutes allow your eyes to rest by looking at an object at least 20 feet away for 20 seconds (the 20-20-20 rule.)
- Try not to sit for too long, get up and move around while doing the 20-20-20 rule.
- Try to lift your device to eye level in order to prevent a strain on your neck.
- Remember to stretch out! If you don’t know what stretches to do let us know and we can send you an info sheet!
For more information check out www.chiropractic.on.ca